Monday, February 23, 2009

A Server's Disdain

The misery of my eight hour day accumulates into a burning desire to piss in soup and spit in salad. These are the objects of my most profound disdain. I grow tired of discussing the nature of these minute and mundane entities of consumption; every day I am forced to face the drudgery of stressing over soup and salad. Clearly I am a server, not a 'waiter.'

Every time a hungry customer comes in to the Olive Garden I am turned into a means to an end. I am reminded of Kant's golden rule and feel disparaged by the condition of our society. I go through the conditions necessary to fulfill such a rule. I always reach the conclusion that my job could not exist, if this rule were put into action.

At work I am subjugated to so many different authorities, that my self worth is completely diminished. As a server I am at the bottom of the hierarchical ladder. I am forced to comply to the will of the Darden corporation, the managers, and the customer. Three different entities that see me as a means to an end. The corporation sees me as a means to strengthen its prospects to corner the hospitality market, if it takes my existence into consideration at all. The managers see me as a means to increase their financial situation and subject me to their abuse of power. The customer, the worst of all, sees me as a means to satiation and judgement. The customer comes in with a criterion of a server and I am evaluated accordingly. My intelligence, personality, and status as a human being is determined by these standards, and I am forced to comply. If I do not meet this criterion, then I do not get a decent tip and I am forced to try to survive on minimum wage. My entire existence is dependent on the valuation of others. My only form of retribution is to compromise the various health standards, that are imposed on all servers, for the protection of the customers health, the good name of the corporation, and the jobs of the management. I am not saying that I compromise these standards, but I am sure tempted and I would certainly protect those that do compromise those standards.

The point of all of this is to show my lowly existence. In a society of wage slaves, I am the slave of wage slaves. What does my liberation depend on? What system needs to be overthrown in order to gain this freedom? Clearly it is that which perpetuates and protects the institution of wage slavery. Government and economic prowess.

Until the day these two monstrosities are overthrown, it would be wise to be kind to your server, as the very object of his or her disdain is that which you order. And we have an infinite number of bodily fluids to subject those objects to.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we talked about this, let me just say: exactly. Rude customers beware, we remember you.

    ReplyDelete